Once again, Jeff Bohrer gets the scoop. (Add this guy to your feed reader, for sure.) Blackboard has apparently been issued a Canadian patent comparable to its US patent and is suing D2L in Canada. As Jeff puts it,
To summarize, here are the active proceedings in this complicated story listed in chronological order:
– Blackboard vs. Desire2Learn (US Federal Court)
– US Patent Office review of Blackboard’s “‘138″ patent
– Blackboard vs. US Patent Office (US Federal Court)
– Blackboard complaint aginst Desire2Learn to US International Trade Commission
– Blackboard vs. Desire2Learn (Canada Federal Court)
Keep up if you can.